ANU Distinguished Educator
Winner, 2016 Australian Award for University Teaching, Award for Teaching Excellence
I am an educator and astrophysicist at the Australian National University. My research interest include interactive teaching methods, online education, Lyman-alpha blobs and quasars. I am teaching a series of massive open online courses (MOOCs). I am first year coordinator for Physics, and teach PHYS1101 Physics 1, ASTR1001 Astrophysics, and convene ASTR3005 Astrophysics Research Topic. I have won many prizes for teaching and science communication.
- Free online astrophysics courses (MOOCs).
- Video animations of key astrophysics concepts (from the above courses).
- My educational research
- How and why to flip your classes (short course)
- Laboratory Skills Videos
- Physics 1 (PHYS1101) Materials
- Seven Habits of Highly Effective Astronomers
- Classroom Role-playing Exercises
Public Talks and Outreach
- Greatest Unsolved Mysteries of the Universe
- Where did the Earth Come From?
- What is the ultimate fate of the universe?
- Giant Black Holes
- Interview with me about unsolved mysteries
- Sounds of the Universe
- Photos of Mt Stromlo Observatory
- My publications
- My research students
- Comet Collision Armageddon Unlikely
- Giant Galaxy String Defies Models
- Some black holes are pink