My current research group has two main thrusts: novel instrumentation aimed primarily at exoplanet-related science, and high angular resolution observations of young stars and their environments. FunnelWeb is a current theme because it is essential for young exoplanet science, as well as fully exploiting transit (e.g. TESS) and astrometry (i.e. Gaia) surveys. Group members include:
- Dr Joao Bento: Observatory integration of the RHEA spectrograph, HAT-South.
- Eloise Birchall (Masters, ANU): Modelling resolved disks from high angular resolution infrared observations.
- Margaret Streamer (part-time M.Phil, ANU): Delta Scuti stars in eclipsing binary stars a way to calibrate stellar models of A stars.
- Alexander Wallace (PhD, ANU): Direct Imaging of the Youngest Exoplanets.
- Timothy Crundall (honours, ANU): Bayesian methods to search for Young Stars in the Gaia era.
- Adam Rains (PhD, ANU): Abundances and Fundumental Parameters of TESS targets with FunnelWeb. Details TBD.
- Dary Ruiz-Rodriguez (PhD candidate, ANU - Lucas Cieza primary supervisor): Aperture mask interferometric imaging of young stars, focusing on binary stars and transition disks, and now ALMA observations.
- Rajika Kuruwita (PhD candidate, ANU - Christoph Fedderath primary supervisor): Circumbinary disks.
- Harry-Dean Kenchington-Goldsmith (PhD candidate, ANU - Stephen Madden primary supervisor): Chancogenide waveguides for nulling interferometry.
Past Group MembersPrevious members of my group (non-exhaustive at semester-long undergrad research project level, with 1-2 students/year) includes the following people. As I am collaborative in my research, some of these people had other primary supervisors, and are listed as such.
- Dr Tobias Feger (PhD 2017, Macquarie Uni): The RHEA spectrograph.
- Adam Rains (Masters 2016, ANU): efficient injection into and astronomy with the RHEA spectrograph.
- Dr Aaron Rizzuto (honours 2010, PhD 2014). Became a postdoctoral fellow at UT Austin.
- Jane (Jinying) Lin (honours 2015, primary supervisor Martin Asplund). Universty medal, continuing with Asplund group.
- Emily Rickman (undergrad project 2015). Currently a PhD candidate at the Geneva Observatory.
- Dr Izabela Spaleniak (PhD 2014). Became a postdoctoral fellow at Herriot Watt University.
- Dr Yitping Kok (PhD 2013). Was a postdoctoral fellow in the Gravity group at MPIE. Now at UWA physics.
- Mr Benjamin Warrington : Research associate 2010-2013. Became a SOFIA astronomical flight planner.
- Ms Arwen Nicholson : Research associate 2011. Now astrobiology PhD candidate at the University of Exeter.
- Dr Barnaby Norris (honours, primary supervisor Peter Tuthill)
- Mr Carlos Bacigalupo (honours 2012)
- Dr Tom Evans (masters 2011)
- Dr Nathaniel Butterworth (honours 2009, PhD in geophysics)
- Dr Daniel Huber (PhD 2011, primary supervisor Tim Bedding)
- Dr Vicente Maestro (PhD 2013, primary supervisor Peter Tuthill)
- Dr Henry Woodruff (PhD 2010, primary supervisor Peter Tuthill)
- Ms Alison Hammond (TSP Undergrad project, 2008).
Bok prize 2012 - She once listed her astro project with me as the reason for a switch from Maths/History to physics.
- Dr Anthony Cheetham (Undergrad research project, 2009). PhD from Uni of Sydney, and became a postdoc at the Observatory of Geneva.